Thursday 25 November 2021

Back in the Blog! Local Landmarks


I have found that whenever in a place of significance, there is something memorable about the first time you see landmarks of significance. Take for instance the looming presence of the Eiffel tower, the crumbled remains of the Berlin wall, or the regal majesty of the Taj Mahal. These moments of significance also extend to sport, and historically important places/climbs.

To this day I still recall the first time I walked through the forest of Squamish, and looked at Chris Sharma's infamous Dreamcatcher (5.14d). I find these monuments of grandeur also present in our local communities, and I have always enjoyed climbing on notable lines in the areas I visit. To this day, I still recall humbling myself in the forest of Fontainebleau, as I groveled my way up La Marie Rose (a modest V3!). While infamous climbs like the aforementioned bloc are not always the most striking or classic lines, more often than not they surpass the positive or negative attributes, drawing people to climb them for the sheer "Rite of Passage".

Talking at length about this with several friends has motivated me to suggest a list of climbs for some of the areas I am more familiar with (and hope to expand on as I travel more!). Without further adieu, here are some of my proposed "must climb" boulders.

SQUAMISH



Mantra, V8 (an FA by the legend Trent Hoover! I was very happy to do this one (Here's a photo from my squamish trip, S/O to Stephen Salvador for guiding me around!!!)


The Egg V11 (Andrew Funk is the first one to come up on google images! Definitely on my list to try next time in Squamish (not my photo))


Easy in an Easy Chair V4 (the first boulder you come upon in the forest, and very nice! Checked this off as my first bloc climbed in the forest! (not my photo))

The Singularity V14 (somehow looks very climbable in person (not my photo))

CALGARY/CANMORE


Resurrection V7 (Couldn't find a photo with a climber on it!)

Jabba V12 (Yes i did the jump! #strongnottall)


Buddha Finger V8 (felt hard when I did it! (not sure who's in the photo))


Bleeding Edge of Free Will V8 (Suited me well. A few of the coolest holds i've seen, reminds me of sport climbing at Acephale! (Matt Lucas pictured))


Right Potato Bondar V10 (Used a crazy Knee drop, would not recommend that method! (Here Loic spots me on one of the nicest landings in the rockies))

Coming soon......

FRANK SLIDE
BOULDERFIELDS
HOPE
ARROW LAKE / NELSON / CASTLEGAR

Have a thought on what you think the notable climbs are? Fill in the form below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back in the Blog! Local Landmarks

I have found that whenever in a place of significance, there is something memorable about the first time you see landmarks of significance. ...